Horseback Riding and Trail Rides
Permitted by the US Forest Service and the Bureau of Land Management
Click here for prices
All rides are custom trips. All rides will depart from and return to the barn at Sweetwater Lake Resort (up the road from the restaurant). Children under the age of 5 should consider pony rides instead; please see below.
- One-Hour Ride - meander through pastures to reach a beautiful overlook of the lake. (The perfect ride for young cowboys and cowgirls.)
- Cave Ride - climb above the lake for a fantastic view of the resort and arrive at a Ute Indian cave with authentic pictographs.
- Two-Hour Ride - travel through pastures and up into the lush Turret Creek basin, then continue through wildflower meadows on your return.
- Half-Day Ride - ascend to higher grazing pastures with panoramic views of the New York mountains and Sawatch range. Descend through aspen groves, wildflower fields, and flowing springs while viewing the wildlife along the trail. •(Include a stop at the cave in your trip for a Half-Day plus Cave Ride.)
- Full-Day Rides - Journey into the high country of the Flat Tops Wilderness for spectacular views of mountains as far away as the Maroon Bells. Observe the wildlife in their natural habitat. Optional destinations include:
- Full-Day Fishing Trips - Horseback straight to either Hack Lake or Turret Meadows and spend the day catching brook and cutthroat trout. (You must bring your fishing license and all equipment must fit on a horse. We can provide some gear if needed.)
- Adventure Ride - Immerse yourself in western tradition; ride horses through the majestic Flat Tops Wilderness and return with the setting sun. Enjoy views of the Maroon Bells, the Sawatch Range and New York Mountains. Leaves when the cowboy coffee is still steamin' and returns when the dinner bell is ringin'. Cowboy Brown Bag lunch will be provided.
*Add a Wine & Cheese Picnic (delectible picnic of gourmet delights including cheese, bread, fruits, dips, sweets and more!) or Cowboy Brown Bag Lunch to any Day Ride.
Summer Pack Trips
Ride and pack into our base camp in Sweetwater Creek or Goat Mountain camp in Turret Creek. Enjoy everything cooked on an open fire along with Dutch oven baking. A real Western Adventure! A $50 deposit lassos your horse. All food and gear provided.
- Two days with one overnight
- Three to five days into the Flat Tops Wilderness or Sweetwater Summer Camp.
Other locations for summer pack trips include the Maroon Bells Wilderness in the White River National Forest and the Rawah Wilderness in the Roosevelt National Forest. Please call Brink Outfitters for more details.
At the Barn
- Pony Rides- Available for cowboys and cowgirls still too short to reach their stirrups!